The Social Network Movie Review

Today in my Social Media class, we watched The Social Network and I thought that it was a fitting choice for what has been talked about so far. After finishing the film, I wanted to write my initial thoughts about the film, or rather what I could decipher immediately after finishing it. I feel my mind is spinning a million miles a minute right now but here are my thoughts about the movie after watching it.

The Social Network is a drama film that came out in 2010 and was directed by David Fincher. This film follows the creation of Facebook through Mark Zuckerburg, Eduardo Saverin, and others with showing flashback scenes of the creation process and the problems that Zuckerberg later faced after the matter. Some of the stars of The Social Network include Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake, Rooney Mara, Brenda Song, Rashida Jones, and many others. According to IMDb, this film was nominated for eight Oscars and ended up winning three Oscars. This film won Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Film Editing, and Best Original Score.

At first, I wasn't sure how a movie about the creation of Facebook was going to be all that engaging. I thought that the technology and computer vocabulary would drag me under and make me not appreciate the film but I was proven wrong for sure. This film grabbed my attention from the first scene and did not let me go until the very end. The screenplay of this film is so well done because it flowed naturally and it didn't stray away from the plot and become extravagent. Aaron Sorkin seems to be regarded as a masterful screenplay writer because of his way to weave dialogue and plot and it definitely shows throughout. At times, it was hard to follow the dialogue but as soon as I thought that, I would be able to follow was going on. The acting in the movie was excellent and carried the film in a great way. Jesse Eisenberg was on another level with his performance and in my opinion, it came across as genuine. Some other performances that stood out to me were Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake. Seeing Timberlake act was interesting and he is very talented and could go far if he ever decides too in the future. On a side note, it was interesting to see Brenda Song in this movie with only knowing her on The Suite Life of Zack and Cody but that is besides the point. I like the way how they used flashbacks of the creation of Facebook, the past, and integrate it with the trials that happened, the future. It was an interesting direction that David Fincher, the director, decided to take. At points, it was a little confusing to know which trial was going on but after the movie starts, it becomes clear what is going on. It created another dimension to an already layered film. The way that the film showed Facebook becoming a business was interesting as well. I realized that there a lot of steps to take for a company to take until it becomes a business. What also surprised me was how many employees Facebook had as well as time went along.

Overall, I enjoyed this film more than I thought I would. It is a great film with awesome acting and an exceptional screenplay. If you enjoy Facebook, it would be worth watching so you can gain more appreciation for the company and anything involving Facebook because that is how I feel after watching this movie.

Comments

  1. Justin Timberlake is pretty good in Trouble with the Curve, which also stars Amy Adams and Clint Eastwood. You'd like that one, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hello... Again

Top 10 Movies That I Saw in 2020

Top 5 Favorite Best Picture Winners